8th April 2020
The below is summary of the guidance published by HM Courts & Tribunal Service in respect of Criminal Courts and Proceedings on Monday 27th April 2020.
- There are no Jury trials currently underway
- Crown Courts are dealing with a range of work, much of which is being done remotely. This includes sentencing hearings and all urgent applications including applications for bail and applications to extend custody time limits. Pre-trial preparation hearings and further case management hearings are also taking place
- Magistrates’ courts are only covering urgent work and we plan to re-start work on police traffic prosecution cases that can be dealt with remotely. note of listing in magistrates’ courts during coronavirus outbreak
. The Judiciary have published a
- Since 19 March 2020 Single Justice Procedure cases – other than some police road traffic cases – have been suspended. Decisions on those cases already listed will be delayed, as will all cases where there has been a not guilty plea
- All questions about paying an outstanding criminal court fine should be sent to our National Compliance and Enforcement Service at NCESBCT@justice.gov.uk or call 0300 123 9252