Tom practised in Crime in London for 20 years but is now based in our Winchester office. He loves the Western Circuit and both prosecutes and defends the whole spectrum of criminal cases across the Circuit. He is happy to accept work from members of the public on a Direct Access basis.
He has developed a growing niche in Court Martial work and is happy to take instructions both here and overseas to represent service personnel.
He has previously defended and prosecuted serving Police officers, as well as other professionals e.g. medical doctors.
He is a pupil supervisor and this year was involved as an advocacy trainer for Circuit in respect of vulnerable witnesses.
He is accredited as a Grade 4 prosecutor for London, the Western and South Eastern Circuits. He is also instructed by the RASSO unit to prosecute sex offence cases within these circuits.
When not in court, he loves nothing more than escaping with a fishing rod.
He also loves skiing, camping and walking (especially in the wilds of Scotland).
- R v C: Winchester Crown Court: prosecuting driver of Ferrari F50 for causing death by careless driving.
- R v C: Court Martial, Bulford, 2018: 4 week trial, client accused of assaulting recruits.
- R v K: Southampton, 2018: defending man accused of assisting the rape of a student.
- R v C, C and J: Instructed to prosecute HMRC case alleging fraudulent reclaiming of £1m in VAT by company directors of building firm. Pleas by all defendants. Awaiting sentence.
- R v M: successful defence of Bournemouth man accused with another of raping a prostitute.
- R v AG, Court Martial, Bulford 2017. Defence of serving Royal Military Police officer accused of Theft.
- R v M, Court Martial, Bulford 2017. Defence of Staff Sergeant at Sandhurst accused of indecency towards recruits.
- R v B: Bomb Hoax, Court Martial, Paderborn 2017. Defence of Royal Engineer accused of bomb hoax. Soldier had pretended to be a member of ISIS and had planted an explosive device in German nightclub.
- R v L: Manslaughter, Court Martial, Bulford 2017. Instructed as leading counsel to defend Royal Engineer in respect of a fatal accident in Camp Bastion involving heavy plant. Health and safety issues along with the defence of “combat immunity”. Case dropped by Crown following submissions by defence.
- R v T: Rape, Hove Crown Court. Instructed as leading counsel in the prosecution of a man for raping three complainants, all with intermediaries as a result of learning difficulties. Convicted after trial, December 2016.
- R v M: Central Criminal Court, Class A drugs. Prosecuted man arrested in Spain and extradited for supplying multi-kilo consignments of Class A drugs. Sentenced in 2017 to 18 years. (click for press)
- R-v- M : Defended one of 6 defendants in a “gang” rape trial at Southampton Crown Court. Client acquitted.
- R-v- A and others : Supply of Class “A” drugs, joined with possession of prohibited firearms. Prosecuted three defendants in a 5 week trial at Central Criminal Court. Main defendant sentenced to 27 years. (click for press)
- R-v- J : Prosecution of retired company director for using deception and inducements to engage in sexual activity with women suffering from long-term mental illness.
- R-v- R : Prosecuted Professor of Perinatal Neuroscience at UCL, who sexually assaulted women whilst acting as informal sperm donor. (click for press)
- R-v- P : Death by careless driving by HGV driver of pedestrian in Brixton.
- R-v-W : Prosecution to trial of serving Police officer for multiple counts of marital rape, made more sensitive because he was one of Lambeth’s few black officers and responsible for liaison with the black community in Brixton.
- R-v- M and G : Prosecuted trial at the Central Criminal Court of cash-in-transit robberies. Investigated by the Flying Squad.
- 2004 - Accredited as pupil supervisor.
- Courts Martial
- Ecclesiastical / Religion
- Regulatory and Disciplinary
- Transport Law
- 1992 University of Westminster
- 1987-1990 University of Bristol: BSc. (Hons)