Tara is an accomplished barrister and an accredited mediator who combines a gentle and engaging manner with an incisive and analytical approach to the dispute at hand. She is praised for her grasp of complex factual and legal issues as well as her understanding of the parties' underlying needs and motivations enabling her to facilitate a resolution. As a barrister Tara specialises in family financial remedies claims, claims involving the Inheritance Act 1975 and the Trust of Land and Appointments of Trustees Act 1996, contentious probate, proprietary dispute and a range of commercial and contract disputes. She mediates in a range of disputes which extend beyond these core practice areas.
Tara Lyons - Alternative Dispute Resolution
Year of call: 2005
Areas of specialism:
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Children Private Law
- Court of Protection
- Family Finance
- Inheritance, Wills and Probate
- Public Access and Direct Access
- MA Law (Cambridge) 2004
- BVC, Inns of Court School of Law 2005
- Dr Cooper Law Studentship (Trinity Hall, Cambridge, 2004)
- Harmsworth Entrance Exhibition Award (Middle Temple, 2004)
- Pegasus Scholarship (Inner Temple, 2010)
- Member of the Family Law Bar Association
- Member of the Western Circuit
- Tara enjoys sports and travel.
- Re C (Children) (2012)- Tara acted for a father successfully appealing a finding made by the court at a fact finding hearing that he had given the mother HIV.
- S v S (2017)- Tara successfully acted for the Husband in his section 31 application
- A v A (2017)- Tara acted for the Father in successfully defending a school fees order application
- L v S (2017)- Tara achieved an excellent settlement for a wife in a case involving a prenuptial agreement and complex foreign jurisdictional issues
- In the estate of FS- Tara successfully advised a cohabitee in an Inheritance Act claim and secured an extremely generous settlement on her behalf.
- Re A (a child) (2017)- Tara represented the Father in the Court of Appeal defending an appeal against a costs order made in Family Proceedings
- A v A (2016)- Tara obtained a living arrangements order, prohibited steps order, passport order and port alert in High Court proceedings brought by the father against the mother in circumstances where she was threatening to remove the child to Oman
- DJ v DJ (2016)- Tara successfully secured an order that all the disclosed assets in financial remedies proceedings be transferred to the wife where the husband had materially non-disclosed.
- N v N (2015)- Tara successfully represented the wife in financial remedies proceedings where the Judge made a finding that over £150,000 should be "added in" on account of monies spent by the husband on gambling.
- P v P (2015)- Tara successfully represented a wife in contested divorce proceedings
- R v R (2015)- Tara successfully represented a policeman in financial remedies proceedings brought after 15 years of separation achieving a clean break
- Re VL- Tara represented the carers of a protected party who had been the subject of financial, emotional and physical abuse by family members
- M v D (2014)- Tara successfully secured over half of the net estate for a homosexual cohabitant of the deceased when the fact of their relationship and need was denied.
- Lewis v Bunyard (2013)- Tara represented the claimant in her action to challenge the validity of a will.
- Tara contributes to a range of specialised publications and presents webinars on a range of topics.