Stephen’s civil practice has a particular emphasis on property related work.
He is currently the Head of the Pump Court Chambers specialist Property Team. He has appeared in a number of significant reported cases concerning commercial leases. He is also frequently instructed in cases concerning landlord and tenant (both business and residential), contracts for sale of land, boundary disputes, adverse possession, easements and restrictive covenants.
He is the editor of the Landlord and Tenant and Housing section of The Green Book and also of the Landlord and Tenant division of Butterworths Civil Court Precedents. He is a member of the Property Bar Association and, with other members of the Pump Court Chambers Property Team, regularly gives seminars on aspects of property law.
- M.A. (Oxon)
- Property Bar Association
- Shah v Chafer  EWCA Civ 1334 (Procedure - Tomlin Orders - extent of court's power to vary).
- Dean's Application  UKUT 0203 (LC) (restrictive covenant - modification under ss 84(1)(aa) and (c) of Law of Property Act 1925 - 'thin end of the wedge').
- Stafford-Flowers v Linstone Chine Management Co. Ltd  EWCA Civ 202 (restrictive covenant - sections 84(1)(aa) and (c) of Law of Property Act 1925 - 'thin end of the wedge')
- Pearson v Foster  EWHC 107 (Ch) (fishing rights, riparian rights, artificial watercourses, land registration)
- Application of Stafford-Flowers  UKUT 0082 (LC) (application to discharge restrictive covenant - sections 84(1)(a),(aa) and (c) of Law of Property Act 1925)
- Lankester & Son Ltd v Rennie  EWCA Civ 1515 (commercial lease – assignment – estoppel by conduct – estoppel by convention)
- Innerspaces Self Storage Ltd v Harding & others  EWCA Civ 46 (commercial landlord and tenant - construction of service charge obligation)
- Wise v Jimenez  WTLR 163 Ch D (money paid subject to 'Quistclose' trust - equitable compensation)
- Knights Construction (March) Ltd v (1) Roberto Mac Ltd (2) Chief Land Registrar  2 EGLR 123 (rectification of the register)
- Cooper v Gick (2008) Land Registry Adjudicator Ref 2007/0103 (adverse possession of registered land)
- Choudhury v Ahmed  EWCA Civ 1102 (additional evidence - judge's discretion).
- Merer v Fisher (2003), CA Lawtel (right of pre-emption - obligation of successor in title to land affected).
- Jewson Ltd v Kelly (2002), QBD Lawtel (sale of goods - implied terms as to quality and description).
- Geraghty & Co ( a firm) v Awwad and Gustavson  3 WLR 1041 CA (solicitors' fee agreements).
- Fox v Widley and Guram  1 EGLR 91 QBD (Rent Review - effect of Arbitration Act 1996).
- Footwear Corp. v Amplight  2 EGLR 38 ChD (Landlord's obligations under Landlord & Tenant Act 1988).
- National Westminster Bank v Daniel  1WLR 1493 CA (Bank Guarantee - RSC Order 14 - credibility of affidavits).
- Foalquest Ltd v Roberts  1 EGLR 50. CA (Personal liability of agent).
- William Hill (Southern) Ltd v Waller & Russell  1 EGLR 271 (Landlord and Tenant - liability of guarantors).
- Capital and City Holdings v Dean Warburg Ltd  1EGLR 90 (Landlord and Tenant - liability of guarantors - mode of forfeiture).
- The Civil Court Practice (Green Book) Landlord and Tenant & Housing section
- Butterworths Civil Court Precedents: Landlord and Tenant division