He is happy to accept direct access instructions to defend individuals charged with any offences or accused by disciplinary bodies.
Matthew Scott - Public Access and Direct Access
Year of call: 1985
Areas of specialism:
- Courts Martial
- Public Access and Direct Access
- Regulatory and Disciplinary
- Association of Regulatory & Disciplinary Lawyers (ARDL)
- Away from his practice Matthew lectures and broadcasts on legal matters and regularly contributes articles on legal issues to professional journals and the national press.
- Matthew is a keen beekeeper.
- L & R v R.  EWCA Crim 649 (Defended baby battering allegation, appeal against conviction allowed)
- Xu & Ors, R v  EWCA Crim 3129 (Represented leading defendant in guideline case on sentences for cannabis cultivation)
- R v. Webster  EWCA Crim. 2894 (Represented appellant in leading case on legal status of campaign medals)
- R v. W (John)  2 Cr. App. R 289 (Defended in leading case on similar fact in identification cases)
- R v. Corcoran http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/527618.stm (Defended cold case review allegation of 1992 murder of Helen Gorrie, appeal against conviction allowed)
- Mukovo v European Central Bank for Reconstruction and Development  I.C.R 897 (Diplomatic Immunity)
- R v. S (2012) (successfully defended historic allegation of child rape and sexual assault, "recovered memory" allegation)
- R. v. A (2012) (successful defence of stepfather accused of rape after defendant's admissions to police ruled inadmissible)