Matthew has considerable experience defending in Courts Martial both in this country and abroad. He has achieved acquittals for senior officers accused of fraud and lower ranks charged with sexual and violent offences.
Matthew Scott - Courts Martial
Year of call: 1985
Areas of specialism:
- Courts Martial
- Public Access and Direct Access
- Regulatory and Disciplinary
- Away from his practice Matthew lectures and broadcasts on legal matters and regularly contributes articles on legal issues to professional journals and the national press.
- Matthew is a keen beekeeper.
- L & R v R.  EWCA Crim 649 (Defended baby battering allegation, appeal against conviction allowed)
- Xu & Ors, R v  EWCA Crim 3129 (Represented leading defendant in guideline case on sentences for cannabis cultivation)
- R v. Webster  EWCA Crim. 2894 (Represented appellant in leading case on legal status of campaign medals)
- R v. W (John)  2 Cr. App. R 289 (Defended in leading case on similar fact in identification cases)
- R v. Corcoran http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/527618.stm (Defended cold case review allegation of 1992 murder of Helen Gorrie, appeal against conviction allowed)
- Mukovo v European Central Bank for Reconstruction and Development  I.C.R 897 (Diplomatic Immunity)
- R v. S (2012) (successfully defended historic allegation of child rape and sexual assault, "recovered memory" allegation)
- R. v. A (2012) (successful defence of stepfather accused of rape after defendant's admissions to police ruled inadmissible)