Mark is a very experienced leading junior. His expertise covers three main areas: regulatory and disciplinary work; fraud and complex crime; and ecclesiastical law.
Mark is head of Pump Court Chambers' Regulatory and Disciplinary Team. Mark's broad regulatory expertise includes cases of director disqualification, planning enforcement, breaches of environmental legislation, licensing appeals, public inquiries before Traffic Commissioners and cases involving care homes before the Care Standards Tribunal. Mark's broad disciplinary expertise includes appearing before major regulators of professional discipline and conduct. He is a legal adviser to the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC), the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), the General Chiropractic Council (GCC) and the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CiLEX). He is a Disciplinary Panel member of the Taxation and Disciplinary Board.
He is regularly instructed in heavy weight criminal defence work and is also regularly instructed by the CPS as a grade 4 advocate. He has been instructed as Independent Counsel by the Serious Fraud Office.
Mark is instructed to represent Petitioners and Parties Opponent in Ecclesiastical Law cases. Mark is Deputy Chancellor of the Diocese of Winchester.
Mark is able to accept Direct Access work.
Recent cases include:
- Regulatory - Represented a solicitor who had been convicted of sending 102 text messages to a serving prisoner who was a client. She was suspended from practising for 18 months. https://www.legalcheek.com/2018/02/solicitor-suspended-for-texting-priso... https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/solicitor-who-sent-102-texts-to-prison...
- Transport - Represented a transport manager who had been disqualified indefinitely so she could regain her good repute.
- Licensing - Represented a restaurant in a licensing appeal
- Crime - Defended a prisoner accused of deliberately stabbing another prisoner in the eye
- Regulatory - Defended a company accused of failing to respond to planning enforcement
- Crime - Prosecuted a manslaughter http://www.islandecho.co.uk/hudson-jailed-6-half-years-christmas-killing/
- Crime - Prosecuted an attempted murder
- Regulatory - Defended a company accused of planning breach of planning controls on advertising
- Regulatory - Defended a disqualified director accused of acting as a director whilst an undischarged bankrupt.
- Ecclesiastical - Provided advice to a local authority on their plans to re-use their cemeteries.
- Crime - Defended a doctor accused of theft
- Crime - Defended in a 12 week multihanded drugs trial a male accused of money laundering and conspiracy to supply