Regulatory and Disciplinary
Businesses and Professions are nowadays highly regulated. A failure to comply with the standards expected by regulators can be fatal to the reputation of a business or an individual. Regulators are seen by the public as the guardians of public safety and of the standards expected. However, regulatory and disciplinary proceedings can often commence on a false understanding of how a business or a professional acted and representation before a tribunal is essential.
As one of the largest common law sets of chambers in the country, our Regulatory and Disciplinary Team is made up of Barristers with experience in representing businesses and clients in parallel proceedings involving commercial, employment or criminal litigation. We run training for our team in advocacy and case law for regulatory and disciplinary proceedings.
Our team accepts direct access instructions and instructions from professional representational bodies and insurers.
Our team provide bespoke in-house seminars to our professional clients and assists our professional clients to provide seminars to their corporate clients.
- Our team specialises in cases involving Care Homes, cases before professional healthcare regulators, Court of Protection and Mental Health Review Tribunals.
- Some members our team sit as Legal Assessors for healthcare regulators.
- We specialise in
- Representing Registered Service Providers who challenge decisions made by the CQC.
- Representing doctors, nurses and healthcare workers before their regulators.
- Representing Registered Service Providers and families at Coroner’s Inquests.
- Representing Registered Service Providers and employees in employment disputes.
- Representing interested parties in the Court of Protection.
- Representing carers in disputes over funding.
- Our team specialises in disciplinary cases involving the Lawyers, Police, Sports, Clergy, Accountants, Teachers, Financial Advisers, Vets and Farriers.
- Some members of our team sit as Legal Advisers to professional bodies responsible for disciplinary and competence hearings.
- We specialise in:
- Representing professionals in disciplinary proceedings held by their professional body.
- Representing professionals in parallel employment litigation.
Financial Services and Business Regulation:
- Our team specialises in cases involving Financial Services Regulation, Serious Fraud, Bribery and Corruption, Trading Standards and Consumer Protection, Data Protection and Planning Enforcement. We work closely with our business and commercial team involved in parallel litigation.
- Our team have represented those charged with offences involved with breaches of financial services regulations, fraudulent trading, insider dealing, and offences contrary to the Insolvency Act 1986, the Company Directors Disqualification Act 1986 and the Consumer Credit Act 2015.
- Our team have represented those facing confiscation of assets in civil proceedings under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 and are able to represent those challenging an Interim Freezing Order and resisting applications for an Unexplained Wealth Order.
- We specialise in:
- Representing commercial clients facing criminal proceedings.
- Representing commercial clients involved in civil litigation.
- Our team specialises in cases involving Health and Safety, Transport, Maritime, Inquests and Inquiries , Environment, Licensing and Parole Board Hearings.
- Our team’s Health and Safety experience covers both fatal and non-fatal accidents, including manslaughter, gross negligence manslaughter, breaches of the Health and Safety at Work Act and the full range of workplace regulations.
- Our team represents concerned families and interested parties of accident victims, victims of suicides, misadventure, deaths arising during Police operations and armed forces personnel killed during service.
- Our team defends and prosecutes in cases involving noise pollution, revocation of waste operator licences, fly tipping and cases of environmental pollution involving hazardous substances. We are able to conduct appeals to the Planning Inspectorate against the revocation of licences.
- Some members of our team have specialist knowledge of matters affecting rural communities.
- We specialise in:Representing companies and individuals in proceedings brought by the HSE.
- Representing vehicle operators in proceedings before Traffic Commissioners.
- Representing Private Hire Vehicles and Hackney Carriages owners.
- Representing those charged with Road Traffic offences.
- Representing those whose vehicles who have been seized by the UKBA.
- Representing those charged with offences arising from the Merchant Shipping (Accident Reporting and Investigation) Regulations 2005.
- Representing interested parties at Coroners’ Courts.
- Representing interest parties at Inquiries.
- Representing prisoners at Parole Board hearings.
- Our team have represented those charged with offences involving breaches of financial services regulations, fraudulent trading, insider dealing, offences contrary to the Insolvency Act 1986, the Company Directors Disqualification Act 1986 and the Consumer Credit Act 2015. We have acted for those facing confiscation of assets in civil proceedings under the Proceeds of Crime Act and advised those prosecuting on whether assets can be seized and restrained.